Thursday, October 21, 2010

Another green tomato recipe, and its a keeper!

I tried a new recipe today, and I am so glad I did!  The recipe can be found over at Farmgirl Fare, and it is for a sugar-free green tomato relish/salsa/sauce.  I can't stop dipping tortilla chips in the pot.  Do I even bother canning the stuff?  It may not last long enough, lol.  The recipe calls for green tomatoes, but there are also many onions & garlic, some peppers, and a green apple thrown in for good measure.  Erin, this recipe may be perfect for you, especially if you kick-it-up a notch......I halved the cumin and (seeded) jalapenos called for in the original recipe and it still holds a nice little punch.  Now, I must warn you that there is a very distinctive vinegar taste to this sauce, but hubby and I totally approve!  (Edit: Note to self- small dice jalapenos added *after* pureeing, not before)

8 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Ooooh, this looks so good! I love salsa like that.

Kelly said...

Commenters over at FF were spooning it over tacos etc., and they were raving about it. It is very different, but in a good way.

Erin said...

I may try this! The last of the tomatoes outside are not going to be ripening. I like a vinegary taste too, and this weekend is taco night!

Kelly said...

Erin, you must at least make a half batch for sampling!!

Frugal Gardener said...

Awesome, I am canning green tomatoes this weekend so thank you for the link!

Kelly said...

Frugal Gardener- I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we have, happy canning!

judy said...

THIS LOOKS SO GOOD I KNOW ERIN AND HER FAMILY WILL LOVE IT BUT SO WILL MINE

Kelly said...

Thanks Judy, I hope you all do love it!