Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Garden Goodies

I ordered some supplies from Lee Valley, and I can't wait to put them to use!  First, I ordered a bulb sprayer/duster.  This I plan on using with my kaolin clay as a non-harmful pesticide on the apple trees and cole crops.  From what I understand the clay basically tricks the pests into not liking their chosen crop, the layer of clay on the leaves or fruit fools them a bit.  I also ordered some three and four-arm cane connectors for constructing cages to hold bird netting over the strawberries, blueberries, etc....

(Yes, my coffee table is clean though it looks filthy.  The finish is just beyond 'used and abused'.)


 (photos taken from Lee Valley on-line catalog)

The kids have taken to the rubber cane connectors within minutes of the package being opened, turns out they double as building blocks on the off season.  :)


4 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

New toys for the garden are always so much fun. For everyone!

Lorie said...

Those are really cool. we do not have much of a problem with birds in the berries, but I will keep those in mind if the birds decide to attack. And your getting off season use too! My, what a bargain.

meemsnyc said...

I totally want those cane connectors too! I even contacted the company months ago to see if they sell them in the States. I'll check out Lee Valley, thanks for the tip!!

Thomas said...

I could totally use some of those connector thingies in my garden. Makes me wonder - "Why didn't I think of that?"