Monday, June 15, 2009

Garden Notes


Garden Notes: I am terribly close to picking my first tomato, the Sungold cherry is starting to get a deep orange tint. That little pepper is 'Carmen', a sweet Italian variety from Johnny's Seeds which should be amazing when big, red, and roasted. I have lost the ability to distinguish between the 3 pea varieties growing which stinks because one is consistently much better than the rest. I put a stocking over my big beef today, that sucker is so big the nylon just fits.....only two tomatoes growing so far though. (Do the larger slicing tomato varieties typically produce fewer fruits than the smaller cherries and plums?) Potatoes beginning to flower; something is mowing down the muskmelon seedlings; pH in correct range on potatoes and blueberries; alpine strawberries almost ready for picking.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like everything is going well! Your cherry & grape tomato varieties will produce like mad if they are indeterminate...I didn't even plant them this year because they were dropping all over the place last year!! But - try to oven dry or sun dry some little tomatoes, they are divine! I tried for the first time last year and they were yummy to snack on just like raisins! I broke down and bought a fig tree today...I have always loved the tree shape and it was only 24 bucks! I am sure I will have some pics on my next update.

Kelly said...

OOOH! Erin I am so jealous- what variety did you get? Will you do a container or stick it in the ground?

Thanks for the tomato tip. Things are going OK, my biggest worry is that my onions and shallots are going to rot, it has been so wet here they are not happy.

Erin said...

I got a 'Royal Vineyard' Fig, purplish fruit. Believe it or not, I've never tried a fig! My husband loves them, though. I am in love with the tree shape and how it can be pruned to a neat canopy. I put it into a container since I am starting to plan "just in case" we move to a bigger place in a couple of years, want to take my fruit trees with me!

Kelly said...

I have only had them on a cheese platter, but they go so well with blue cheese I would like to grow some at home. I am holding out for the Celeste/Celestial variety....hopefully next year, along with a clementine. Will you post a picture of your container trees soon? They all sound lovely!