Monday, August 29, 2011

Still off grid....

We have been without power (and running water) since yesterday morning.   I am sitting in my favorite book store's parking lot taking advantage of their wi-fi.  The winds were not as bad as expected, so nothing more than limbs and leaves down in the yard.  I did however have to rip out the tomatoes in order to take down the cages in the afternoon, the winds were just too strong.

On a sad note, our favorite town beach area was hit hard, the road that runs along the beach is destroyed.  I don't know that it will ever be a town beach again.  This ocean front area extends into an Audubon sanctuary where we are able to walk on one end (no sun bathing/swimming allowed), and on the opposite end of the beach were small lots full of trailers and campers during the summer.  Below is what used to be the road running along the beach:



Lobster traps (and lobster) litter the beach along with washed up sea stars, mussels, clams, crabs, and exhausted, tattered birds.......there was lots of debris, including a section of walkway 
which had to have traveled quite a distance to end up where it did. 





All in all we fared well in the storm, but seeing the wreckage left behind this morning, and all the washed up sea creatures made us all a bit teary eyed.  We cherish this beautiful place and it's inhabitants so much, it is hard to see the destruction Mother Nature leaves in her wake.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Sorry to hear about your beach - for us too our weekend spot on the Outer Banks is inaccessible now. So glad you were prepared for the power outage, I know it's still awful, but at least you can flush! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that it comes back online tonight!

Thomas said...

Hopefully you'll get power back soon and be able to take a nice long bath. It's amazing what mother nature can do and it wasn't even nearly as bad as it could have been.

I left my tomatoes up but my trellises were leaning heavily to one side when the storm was done.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to see the damage to your favorite town beach. I completely understand your sadness. Many years ago, I lived at and walked each day on a Maine beach for several years. I was devastated by the damage a hurricane left behind. So sad.

I hope power is restored soon.