Monday, September 21, 2009

The Grass Really is Greener....

Here is an article from edible SOUTH SHORE magazine with information of grass fed vs feed lot beef and a nice write up about the farm 'my cow' is currently grazing at. The article goes as far as saying eating beef can be good for you, as a good a source as fish for Omega-3's , but better due to lack of mercury. To read this informative write up click on the title above.

Edit: I wanted to add this in too, good for me to remind myself why I pay so much money for the stuff....."An even bigger threat is the change that occurs to a cow’s rumen when it eats this modern and unnatural diet of grains, in lieu of grass. Cows’ guts naturally have a neutral pH. Our acidic one, until recently, had been able to kill off any E. coli that might find its way into our food. Today, however, with grain being the food du jour in feedlots, cows’ rumens are now acidic and certain strains of E. coli have grown resistant to an acidic bath, which means we have lost our natural defense against this killer. "
"Pollan says there is a simple solution to the problem. “Jim Russell, a USDA microbiologist on the faculty at Cornell, has found that switching a cow’s diet from corn to grass or hay for a few days prior to slaughter reduces the population of E. coli 0157:H7 in the animal’s gut by as much as 80 percent. But such a solution (grass?!) is considered wildly impractical by the cattle industry and (therefore) by the USDA. Their preferred solution for dealing with bacterial contamination is irradiation—essentially, to try to sterilize the manure getting into the meat.” Instead of overhauling the whole meat industry with a simple and natural solution of grass feeding, the USDA prefers to put more band-aids on a broken system."
From edible CAPE COD.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

I think I remember reading this in one of his books. I buy all of my meat from McKinnan's market. I don't know if you have one near you but it's primarily a butcher shop/produce place. I'm sure the meat is not much different from what you get at a supermarket (freshness being one of them). Old habits die hard...I guess I need to bite the bullet and seriously consider switching to local and organic.

Ms B. Thrift said...

Funnily, reading this has already made me reminisce of my holiday as there were cows and calves in the fields surrounding our cottage, all happily munching on grass all day (such a happy sound hearing them all grazing away!) it's just the natural thing isn't it!?!

BTW Thank you for your comment on my blog about the stuffed marrow- it is a type of squash, in the similar family to the zucchini i believe, but they are a lot bigger, so there you go, maybe you'll be able to grow some next year :) if you can't get seeds in the US i'd happily mail you some!