Thursday, July 1, 2010

New Potatoes

I wanted to try out a new "new potato" salad recipe, so I emptied a grow bag yesterday.  This is the bag I had done most of my robbing from a couple of weeks ago, so I wasn't sure what to expect for yields.


Here is one plant pulled, not bad right?  In total I ended up with  2 pounds, 4.2 ounces of spuds......


My wee one was excited to pull potatoes and box them, that is until she spotted a worm in the dirt.....and then she was worm collecting instead of potato collecting.  My 6 year old had zero interest what so ever.


Some of the potatoes were quite small, but they taste good anyway.  If I had left this bag be I probably would have gotten another 15-20 potatoes out of it...there were way too many potato buds, and small spuds to count.  For fun I cut the stems back and stuck some root masses back into a grow bag with fresh compost.  Not sure if anything will grow, but I couldn't resist!


(Look at all those Red Cloud babies in there!!)

I am content with the yields out of this grow bag.  I put in 4 or 5 seed potatoes and took out well over  2 pounds of new potatoes.  A mature harvest would have yielded even more......not bad for a bag full of dirt right?!?  (I don't think I will see a ten-fold yield of these babies, but things are already going better than they did last year.  And really- do I need 70 pounds of potatoes?)

The Final Product:



Garlic Potato Salad from Simply in Season

6 C new potatoes, cubed
(Boil until tender, about 5 minutes.  Drain and set aside.)

6 garlic scapes, or 3 cloves garlic* (minced)
 *( I used green garlic)
1 C green onions (minced)
1/4 C olive oil
2 T Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
S & P to taste

-Combine dressing ingredients in a large bowl and mix.  Add potatoes and toss to coat; Chill about 3 hours before serving.

This salad is different, a welcomed change from the usual mayonnaise based potato salad.  It has that garlicky-onion tang going.....Mmmm.  Best part is all but the oil and vinegar came from the garden.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Looks delicious! I too, only make oil & vinegar based potato salads, In my opinion, they are more beautiful, healthy and tasty! (But that's because I hate mayonaise!) Great experiment putting those little buds back, can't wait to see if they do anything!

Ribbit said...

How fantastic!! Those are beautiful potatoes. I'm so glad I tried them in my containers this year and I'll most certainly do it again!

Kelly said...

Erin- I usually do mayo based, but this little recipe may change all of that!

Ribbit- Potatoes in containers will hopefully be a success for all come Fall, it will be interesting for us all to compare our yields.

Dani said...

Woohoo Kelly!

Diana (Di) said...

Kelly, those potatoes look wonderful. Great job with the little one! I love those helpers. And that potato salad, well, right up my alley! Have a wonderful 4th of July.

Kelly said...

Thanks Di, happy 4th to you as well...we are grumbling over finishing the trellis system for the grapws. :)

Thomas said...

Kelly, they look AWESOME! New potatoes are so delicious. I think you got a great yield from one pot. The whole 10 to 1 ratio is probably an urban legend...or rural legend in this case.


I think I'll wait as long as possible to pull my potted potatoes. They just seem to be growing much slower than the ones in the ground.

Kelly said...

Thomas- I wonder if it is the warm weather we have been experiencing. I am expecting my yeilds to be hurt a bit by this since I planted late.