Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cage Method for Growing Potatoes

So many gardeners have tried the "cage" method when growing potatoes (this where a structure is built and the cage is continually filled over the growing season) and the results have been very mixed.  The answer to this success or lack there of all comes down to variety.  Yup, that is the wild card when using this planting method.  After many hours of researching this method, and it's results I finally came across a site that mentions specific varieties- YES!!!

I already knew Yukon Gold tots would not yield more using this method.  And now I know three out of the four varieties I ordered this year will not be appropriate for this method.  (Darn!)  Almost had 2 varieties to cage, almost.... turns out fingerlings (yay, thats me!), Yellow Fin, Red Pontiac (my almost), and Indian Pit are recommended by this outfit,  Irish Eyes.  That link will bring you to their potato growing tips page which is loaded with good information.  More information on building a cage can also be found on their site under "How to Grow 100 lbs. of Potatoes in 4 Square Feet" in the Grower's Guide.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Good to know! I'm gonna try to grow some potatoes in pots this year. I had a feeling that it was better suited for certain varieties.

Happy New Year, Kelly!

Erin said...

Awesome post Kelly! I was happy with my Rose Finn Fingerlings in cages last year, but it's the only variety I grew and I had nothing to compare it to, lol. Luckily, I haven't ordered my potatoes yet, so I will be checking out that site beforehand. thanks!

Erin said...

Another good tip on that site is a reminder about shipping dates! Most ship in April to avoid freezing, but those of us in zone 8 and below need them in the ground in March, so doublecheck the shipping dates of your chosen supplier! In my case I will be going with the Maine Potato Lady instead of Moose Tubers since she sets up a special March ship for our zones. great site, Kelly!

Ruth Trowbridge said...

This is an excellent post, will remember this for next year. I want to thank you for the kind comments you left for me at my blog. I have been dealing with a lot of negative attitude spamming and your kind words gave me strength when I wanted to throw in the towel. Peace for all!