Friday, August 6, 2010

The Fridge Challenge

Erin and AG, here you go (in response to a fridge challenge):


This was June 25th.  I had greens and currants from my garden in stock, but most other produce was from the grocer or farmer's market.


This is from today.  I have green beans, carrots, some bitter lettuce, and beets from the garden in there.  Also, some much needed donated zucchini.  As you will notice I have lots of "stuff" in fridge......sauces, oils, mustards, jams, seeds, and nuts.   So even when there is very little actual 'food' to eat my fridge is at least half full.  And, I labeled the shelves (back in June, thus the photograph).  It is actually turning out to be a good thing.  It helps me clean the fridge out more often in an effort to keep things in their proper spot.
***

I made some oven-raosted potatoes with a mustard, lemon, and oregano coating a few nights ago, they were quite tasty:


(Keuka Gold, Red Gold, and Purple Viking)

My husband like the Keuka Gold best (as he always does, these are a Yukon Gold-like variety); I prefered the Vikings in this dish as they were rather plain tasting on their own, not as rich and buttery as the other variety so in my opinion better complimented the coating.

The full recipe can be found here.  Ingredients are as follows:

  • Nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • 1/2 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
  • 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt

  • 3 pounds 1- to 1 1/2-inch-diameter mixed unpeeled red-skinned and white-skinned potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch-wide wedges


Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mustard-Roasted-Potatoes-240694#ixzz0vpaatYhT

Edit:  I should add in some of the other garden storage around here.  I was amused to see Annie's Granny keeps her potatoes in the fridge.  It seems as though she bucks the system and keeps her potatoes crisp and fresh.  Who knew??  (AG did!)

Here is how mine are being stored so far this year, along with other alliums that are not braided and hung:
In a hall closet, with pantry items, bird, and dog food.

The potatoes are in one of the mesh drawers:

Garlic and shallots:

8 comments:

Erin said...

I keep my potatoes in the fridge too, unless I'm eating them in the next 2 days! There is no way possible to store such things otherwise. We don't have basements here due to the high water table, and with temps in the 100's the A/C does all it can just to keep the house hovering around 81-82 during the day. Potatoes don't last long in heat and humidity!

I'm giggling that you "needed zucchini"!

That is the most amazing potato dish I have ever seen! Nice work, Kelly!

Kelly said...

I know Erin, I may the first in history to be thankful for a bag of zucchini showing up in August.

So maybe I should stick the spuds in the frifge then, aye?

Erin said...

You are probably good with that nice dark pantry, I don't have one. I would keep them out if you haven't had any issues, that's always better for them so the starches don't convert to sugar. Mine get eaten so fast I don't have to worry, hopefully once we are in an area where I can grow a sizeable amount, I will have a basement or cool pantry to store them in too!

Kelly said...

My potatoes never keep well in the basement, not sure why.

Annie*s Granny said...

I think you, Erin and I have triplet refrigerators. Yours is identical to mine, and Erin's is really close. I love my adjustable glass shelves, water and ice in the door, hate that the fridge and freezer are so narrow. I think my next one will be full width, and have the bottom freezer. I can't find anything in this freezer with shelves, might as well lose everything in a bottom drawer.

Kelly said...

Lol, I do lose everything in that freezer as well. Must be the narrowness of it all.

Ribbit said...

I love that little pantry. How convenient!

Kelly said...

Thanks Ribbit, the mesh drawer system is a more recent purchase. I love it! It stores the kids snacks and all my bulk goods like beans, lentils, and flour. And now potatoes!