Monday, August 16, 2010

Harvest Monday (Hosted by Daphne's Dandelions)

Happy rainy Monday here in Massachusetts.  It is a welcomed rain, everything is quite parched!

On to the harvest....all of this was picked yesterday.  I was feeling the urge to clean up the garden a bit so I emptied the remaining potato bags.  The details of that harvest can be found in yesterday's post, but the pictures are below.






I have a few pounds of green beans, a bowl of peppers, a Magda Squash, and some other riff-raff to deal with today.  Oh- and tomatoes. ☺ It will be another creative day spent in the kitchen.  Yesterday the remaining peaches were sliced and frozen, Zucchini was grated and bagged for making a newly tried (and loved) recipe for Zucchini Brownies, Ground Cherry Squares were made, and freezer pizza sauce was portioned and bagged.  Slowly but surely every bit from the garden and market is being put to good use.  What have you been cooking up in your kitchen with all the garden bounty?

14 comments:

kitsapFG said...

I love dealing with the summer garden surplus. It does require using some imagination though sometimes to come up with good ways to use certain mixtures of items.

Thomas said...

Great harvest Kel! I envy your beans. Mine did practically nothing this year. The Dragon's Tongue were my favorite.

You're right about the rain. I feel guilty that it's been so dry this summer and yet still I didn't water all that much. I recently made an effort to water my chard every few days and it doubted in size in less than a week. Just goes to show what a little care will do.

johanna said...

Beautiful harvest,
ground cherries are gorgeous.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Great harvest. I am looking at cucumber and pepper. It is either cucumber too small, or pepper too big...... haha.
Cheers,
~bangchik

Erin said...

those potatoes look great! What do you think of the ground cherries? I wasn't as excited as I wanted to be LOL, I left mine for the birds...

Dani said...

Great lookin' food there!

I felt the same as Erin with our ground cherries. :(

meemsnyc said...

We got rain too! So happy about that. Your harvest looks amazing.

Debbie in MS said...

Your harvest looks amazing!! A great harvest can make long days in the kitchen but it is so good to enjoy the delicious food especially during the winter!!

Annie*s Granny said...

Did I hear someone say zucchini brownies? And she didn't give the recipe? I think zucchini brownies would make Mr. Granny a happy man ;-)

Jeff Vandiver said...

Aw man...those taters look really good! EG can't grow them for squat.....

Kelly said...

Ok AG, that will be my next recipe installment. Lol.

Ground Cherries: We like them. They are not overly sweet, and ours have a little tropical taste to them. I was not crazy over the bars I made though, maybe too much ground cherry taste?? I brushed them with peach butter, and then topped with a cinnamon sprinkle, and the kids have given them rave reviews.

I want to try them dipped in chocolate, who could complain about that? ;)

Daphne Gould said...

Your harvest reminds me of my garden last year. I grew Pineapple Tomatillos which are really a ground cherry. They were quite tasty and I used them a lot in fresh salsa.

mac said...

Amazing harvest, love those potatoes. My hands are itching to dig up my taters.

The ground cherry looks interesting, I started some seeds earlier in the spring and something happened, it never took off, I'll have to try again.

thyme2garden said...

Maybe the ground cherries weren't tasty (I've never had them, so I can't offer my own thoughts on them), but they sure look so delicate and beautiful. Do you think you'll grow them again?