Monday, August 16, 2010

Whats Cookin'


It has been another day tethered to the kitchen range.  But again, I don't quite mind.  Luckily the weather is gray and cool.  It was a perfect day to oven-dry tomatoes, and simmer some vegetable soup on the stove-top.  The soup has tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, green beans, onions, and garlic from the garden.  WOO-HOO!  I will also be using some veggies from the freezer to make some Spinach & Artichoke Dip to go along with the Vegetable Soup for dinner this week.  Mmm- Mmm, good.  Good eats, and good for my freezers, cause I am running out of room folks!

Yesterday was a baking day.  Ground Cherry Squares, and Zucchini Brownies.  The squares are OK, nothing to write home about, though once brushed/glazed with a bit of Peach Butter, and topped with some cinnamon sprinkles, they are Mom, and kid approved.  Here they are before going in the oven, and again just after coming out.  (This is before my additions.)  They just seem to be lacking something....but they are unusual, check them out:



Then there are those brownies.  We have put quite a dent in them already, though that is not unusual in this house.  Baked goods just don't last long, especially when there is chocolate involved.



ZUCCHINI BROWNIES
from Simply in Season

1 C flour
3/4 C whole wheat flour
(I used King Arthur's "white whole wheat")
1/3 C baking cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Combine in large bowl.

2-3 C shredded zucchini
Stir in to flour mix.

1 egg
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C plain yogurt 
(I used full fat sour cream)
1/2 C oil
1 tsp vanilla
Combine in a separate bowl and beat with fork.  Stir in zucchini mixture.  
Spread evenly into greased 9 x 13-inch pan.

1/2- 1 C semisweet or mint chcoclate chips
1/2 C nuts (chopped; optional)
Sprinkle on top of batter. Bake in preheated oven at 350F 35-40 minutes.

** My notes:  I did not bake this nearly as long as the recipe called for, I would say start checking after 20 minutes if your oven runs like mine.  Secondly, I used a bar of semi-sweet chocolate that I chopped up in place of chips.  No nuts.  Now, I am going to show you a picture of what I used for "baking cocoa", it is sweetened.  Not sure if this is exactly what the recipe called for, but when made with it, the results are good so I am going to go with it on all future z.b. bakes.



Also, I should plug this Simply in Season book.  I love it.  If you have room for one more cookbook on your shelf, run out and buy this one.  




17 comments:

meemsnyc said...

What an incredible way to use zucchini! I can't wait to try this! Thanks!!

Erin said...

That book IS awesome! I had to giggle at your Ground Cherry Squares. I looked at those little buggers and was like "what do I do with THESE?" LOL, I should have known Creative Cook Kelly would have an idea besides preserves that I won't eat :)

Kelly said...

Lol Erin, the recipe came from the same book as the Zucchini Brownies. There is also a pie recipe in there.

Meemsnyc- it REALLY is a good way to use up zucchini. The recipe is certainly not healthy, but brownies are not meant to be so who cares!

Like I mentioned in my post, my baking cocoa may be a bit more decadent than most, maybe that gives this recipe the edge, lol.

Annie*s Granny said...

Darn, I don't have half the ingredients, so this one will have to wait until I do my grocery shopping.

Somewhere I have some really good zucchini recipes from when my kids were all at home. I need to find them!

Jeff Vandiver said...

I'd be interested in what the ground cherry squares taste like. Sweet/tart?

thyme2garden said...

I saw your first picture before I read anything, and thought, what the heck is that now?? Something resembling masses of bug eggs? Okay, I know, totally gross. Sorry. That's amazing that the batter rose that much to make squares like that in the second picture. They certainly get points for being a very unusual looking. And I bet peach butter makes everything taste better!

Kelly said...

EG, when ripe the ground cherries have a unique taste. They are a bit sweet...and maybe a little musky? Not tart like a currant or goo)seberry is. ( I may have seeds left, would you like any? The square part reminded me of pie crust in flavor, it wasn't overly sweet.

thyme2garden- yes, peach butter seems to make everything better!

Jeff Vandiver said...

Kelly - sure, i'll try them.

Dan said...

I need to make that zuc brownie, yum! Thanks for sharing.

Kelly said...

EG, I just e-mailed you for your address, ground cherries is the subject line...let me know if you have it on your end, my localnet mail has been problematic of late.

Annelie said...

You are right, those cherry squares are unusual. Would love to try one even if they lack that something. I'm taking they are a sweet treat, not a savory? What could be that missing ingredient? Cream cheese? Brown sugar on top? Perhaps a sprinkle of cayenne? Ehh, I don't know.
Chocolate stuff goes pretty quickly around here as well. Hard to resist stuff.

Thomas said...

How cool! Maybe I'll reserves some of my ground cherries for baking as well.

Kelly said...

Annelie- I will post the recipe soon just for you (and Thomas) let me know what you think they could use. We have been liking them cold with the extra sweetness from the peach jam. Brown sugar would also do the trick I think!! :)

Ottawa Gardener said...

Add chocolate or cinammon to anything and it tastes good doesn't it? Actually chocolate and cinammon together, or chili. Add chocolate, cinammon and chili... Seriously though, those squares look scrumptious.

rose white said...

This is great idea on keeping my zucchini useful. I always harvest tons of zucchini and got problems on eating them all before it rot. This is really a great way to eat it and use it. I will try it next harvesting time.

Isabella Diaper said...

Now, I am really hungry! Thanks for this post! LOL. This is really tempting. I just had my breakfast but it seemed like I was jogging the whole time when I saw this recipe! I am hungry again! This is such a tempting recipe! Better try this out later. Thanks!

Crystal Figurine said...

I never tried this before but an exotic cuisine restaurant served to me some brownies with caramelized chillies inside! LOL. But this is more subtle. Will try this when I get home! Thanks for the recipe.