Friday, May 22, 2009

Edible Landscaping


Typically I do annuals in my whiskey barrels that border the drive, this year I opted for a combination of flowers and food in the 3 barrels that get full sun. Last weekend each barrel received 2 squash varieties, chard, and a mix of flowers with the sunflower intended to be the tall (24-36 inches) focal point in the center.


BARREL SEED LIST:

  • Marina Di Chioggia Squash

  • Baby Blue Hubbard Squash
  • Butternut Metro PMR Squash
  • Swiss Chard (Bright Lights)
  • Sunflower (Bashful)
  • Snowdrift Marigold
  • Nasturtium (Jewel Mix & Trailing)

The dwarf sunflowers should be the only non-edible out of the bunch. Nasturtium flowers can be stuffed with a soft cheese (who knew?) or used along with the leaves to provide a peppery punch in a salad. Not sure if all marigolds are edible, will have to double check this variety before adding it to our plate. I am not usually a fan of edible flowers but I will try anything once if I can stuff it with fabulous cheese.

3 comments:

Glynis Peters said...

In Cyprus the villagers have taught me to eat the courgette/zuchinni flower. They stuff them with rice mix or meat and rice. They are lovely.

Kelly said...

Oh how yummy! Do you cook it with stuffing inside or cook up the mixture first and eat the flower raw?

Kelly said...

And welcome Glynis, this blog is my new pet project- so happy to have you here!