Sunday, May 31, 2009

From Bell to Berry

Muffins, pies, pancakes, and smoothies all made better by blueberry the superfruit. Blueberry bushes also make for some great edible landscaping with their pink and white bell shaped flowers, sweet fruit, and fall color. They can be grown as a tall hedge if the right varieties are chosen and are a favorite among the birds.

We planted 3 varieties (6 bushes in total) this year, all high bush:
Toro- Large, firm, mild tasting mid-season producer. Nice fall color.
Jersey- this variety is a late season producer offering up some medium size sweet dark blue berries. These are my favorite for muffins. Also provides beautiful fall foliage.
Bluecrop- Better for fruit production than for ornamental value. Produces large sweet fruit, mid-season variety.

The bushes were planted in a space intensive manner. They will grow together into one large bush of 3 varieties if all goes as planned. I have seen this method used by folks on the West Coast who grow them in half whiskey barrels. Below is a great link to a variety chart for anyone interested in using blueberries for food or landcaping.http://www.fallcreeknursery.com/Nursery/VarietyChart/


2 comments:

Erin said...

Kelly, great pictures! Kids have been running me ragged the past 2 days so it took me awhile to check out your blog! I have been debating the asparagus/blueberry thing for awhile now but you have some great stuff on your asparagus post so I may have to "start preparing", lol! My problem is that I don't want to live in VA forever, so I have been holding out on planting anything that doesn't give me instant results. That being said, the blackberries and raspberries I just "threw in" last year are actually giving me fruit and it doesn't look like we will get to move for a few years so why not??! I planted Colonnade Apple Trees in containers that are supposed to fruit the 1st or 2nd year, so I figured I can take them with me! I am doing edamame for the first time when my peas come out of one of the raised beds. I can't wait to try it! I think I will have to do a fall crop of peas using all available beds in order to freeze some for winter....the spring peas never make it to the freezer!!!

Kelly said...

Geez, I hear you. My little devils just turned 5 and 2. You could always take the asparagus with you if you are willing to go through the trouble of digging them up, although that may only be the case in the warmer months right?? I have eyed those apple trees in the past so I will be very interested to see what you think of them, they sound great. This year I was after a dwarf fig for a container but everyone was sold out.....it does sound as though we have the same tastes for gardening and I am going with what you said- "why not"!