Friday, July 17, 2009

The Carrot Files; Foliar Feed Day

The Carrot Files
There are mysteries that cannot be solved...

Date: 07/16/2009
Location: An undisclosed garden in Southeastern Massachusetts.

An extremely malformed carrot was pulled from what seemed to be loose, rubble free earth.








This case remains unsolved.

***

Did a foliar feed today with a fish & seaweed emulsion and Azomite. It has been a couple of months since the last one. I also did a compost tea shot for my nightshades that seem to be struggling a bit yesterday, and today I will do the asparagus bed. I have been using a non-aerated compost tea, just a days soak in the sunshine and into the soil it goes.

I ordered the Azomite powder through the NOFA (Northeast Organic Farming Association) Bulk Order. It is something I had never heard of or seen locally, but I thought my new soil could benefit from some amending.

Azomite, powder (0-0-2.5, 5% Ca) Named for its A-to-Z of Minerals
including Trace Elements; contains over 67 minerals beneficial to plants and
animals. CR has grown better tomatoes since he started using Azomite and likes
it for corn and melons too. Now a standard supplement in garlic beds. Broadcast
at 300-600# an acre, approximately 1-2#/100 sq ft. Use in potting soil and
compost. Also recommended as a foliar feed; allow the heavier portion to settle
before adding to the sprayer. As a liquid fertilizer add 1 tsp/gal. Mined in
Utah, put through a 200 mesh screen. OMRI

2 comments:

Ruth Trowbridge said...

i think you soil is too tough, is it clay? can you add more sand? peace

Kelly said...

Well that is what is puzzling me. Its a raised bed with loam and sand only, heavy on the sand. Maybe too much sand?