Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Beach Crabs and Compost, CSA

Today the half share included the following:
  • Jam or Bread (I chose Raisin Bread)
  • 1 bunch Spring Onions
  • 1 head of Lettuce
  • Strawberries, 1 pint
  • sm bunch of Kale (.5 lb)
  • sm bunch Chard (.5 lb)

I also picked up 2 lbs of yellow and green Summer Squash @ 2/lb. The share was light this week. (Full share members had Scallions and Field Greens as well.)

Last week I cooked down the chopped Kale in a bit of Olive Oil and mixed it with some of the Sweet Onion Preserves as a pizza topping along with some locally made Feta. It is my new favorite pizza, I can't wait to make it again!!

While at the beach today I collected some seaweed and crab shells to mulch with, or add to the compost pile. I have to do some research and see which would be more beneficial. There are so many things I overlook when composting, some of which are in this list of 163 Things You Can Compost. This is one crab that won't be making it to the compost pile!