Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Damn Blight

I don't have time to post a picture (running off to activities), but this morning I found late blight on my precious Sungold tomato. I ran out of Serenade (anti-fungul spray) last week and have been trying to find some since. Looks as though I am too late. There were some spores on one of the leaves, so it is just a matter of time before all will require being ripped out. Now I am kicking myself for not buying any old spray, is it better to have non-organic tomatoes or no tomatoes? Then of course there are the bugs, birds, and bees to think about....

4 comments:

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

I'm so sorry...and I totally understand your dilemma of, "non-organic tomatoes or no tomatoes". It's a tough call!

Annie*s Granny said...

Oh, poo....I had the same thing happen to some of my tomatoes, but I had enough healthy ones that I didn't miss them. If the ones I lost had been extra tasty, like your Sungold, I'd have been devastated. Organic is good, but if it comes to something that is going to be invasive and endanger other things in the garden, I say go for the spray. I find I HAVE to resort to Roundup to keep Bermuda grass at bay, and I had to use wasp spray to protect my dogs from stings.

Kelly said...

Nasty non-organic spray on hand, just hoping it is not too late. I could not get to it this evening...so much time has gone by since my last application of Serenade weeks ago. (Hubby and I have looked everywhere locally and the Serenade is no where to be found.)

Wren said...

Sorry to hear you lost your tomatoes too. We didn't spray either because of the bees. If it is in the soil next year because of the potatoes, I don't know what I am going to do.