Friday, August 21, 2009

Kindergarten Has Come

This post has absolutely nothing to do with gardening, just thought I'd warn you. This post is about the blubbering mess I have become over my eldest starting kindergarten come September. Today we learned who his teacher will be and received the Kindergarten Supply List. Sent me right over the edge! When this boy was a baby I would spend time staring at him, knowing he would grow into a little boy in the blink of an eye, knowing he would one day wave good-bye and leave our little world at home to start his big adventure as a full-time student. I am not ready- we know that for sure, I just hope he is.

This little boy is special (they all are), he is always in a pretend place- usually at work on a construction site or a tugboat. He hates crowds, new things, any noise that isn't being made by him, and being told what to do. He has no idea how to write his name, sing the alphabet or count to 20, (or to differentiate between letters and numbers if we are getting technical), but he can tell you how to pave a road from start to finish and what stick does what on a backhoe. He has the vocabulary of an adult and speaks with a lisp. I have always been his protector, his advocate. My little guy has always had a hard time facing the world, it often overwhelms him. He has come such a long way from where he began, but as his Mom I worry so much about how he will adjust to this kindergarten thing. He worries "about how he will get his energy out". I worry about how he will pay attention.

I know, I know, I need to let it go. LOL, the good news is in a couple more weeks he will "no longer be my problem" and my daughter will get the attention her brother enjoyed for so many years. I told hubby to take the tenth of September off and have a bottle of vodka on hand so I can begin self-medicating after the school bus drives away with my baby on it (and finish when the boy arrives home 9 hours later, gulp. See, I am practicing in my head already!) Of coarse, this is assuming he actually gets on the school bus, feel free to make wagers on this one!

Ok, I am done now. For those of you that stayed with me thanks, and if you have any stories of 'your' first day of kindergarten please share them here.

6 comments:

Erin said...

First, relax, it's normal to be terrified! My oldest just finished kindergarten, and I was amazed at the transformation. My child is quite the opposite, he loves action and noise, is very studious, highly social, but his physical abilities were lacking. I am still nervous about things like gym class since I know as he gets older, he may get teased about it. He loves to play ball, etc, but just can't seem to get the coordination down! Still can't ride a bike either! Every child has their strengths and weaknesses, and as long as they are accepted at home, they will grow up with good self esteem. Sounds like you are doing all you can for him, now it's time to watch him fly, lol! I love waiting for my son to get off the bus and tell me about his day, you will too. What kind of freaked me out is our school does full day kindergarten, but he did fine! Just be prepared for your little one to act out since he will be bored without his brother, that's where my problem lies right now!

Annie*s Granny said...

{{{{hugs}}}}

Kelly said...

Yeah, it's the full day that is getting me. School goes from 8:45- 3:15, and that doesn't include the bus ride to and from. Looong day for a 5 year old who is used to smashing and crashing all day long.

Wren said...

I don't have kids, but my heart is breaking for you. Sending kind thoughts your way..

Kelly said...

Thanks!

Thomas said...

Well, at least college is many years off! :)