Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Todays Harvest, Free Seed Offer

If you could have seen me this afternoon picking away in the garden I would have had a satisfied smile on my face. In my harvest basket today there was my first eggplant (EVER!!), my first red-ripe Carmen pepper, some zucchini, beans, and tomatoes. All these goodies weighed in at 5.6 lbs! I feel the urge to make more oven-dried tomatoes (pictured below), but then that leaves few for fresh eating. What to do?


Johnny's sent out a letter to it's customers, in it are some suggestions for crops to plant now as well as an offer for some free seeds. The offer is in bold print in the close-up picture along with some of their suggestions for sowing now. The letter also mentions the late blight disaster, and how to use row covers as season extenders. I am posting this just for you Thomas (over at A Growing Tradition)!





I have some baby acorn squash growing and the carrots finally seem to be happy to grow in my garden, I will actually need to do some thinning soon. I must go check when sweet potatoes become ready for harvest, I am dying to dig down and see what (if anything) has grown. I know it is way too early, but I can anticipate right?? :)

4 comments:

Erin said...

I need to get busy and dry some tomatoes, they look delicious!

Thomas said...

Thank you so much for the info Kelly! No, I did not get this in the mail! It must have been sent to my old address. At least now I can just read it off of your blog. haha.
If you plan on using your cold frame this fall, it will be interesting to compare notes on our efforts to defy winter!

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

What an amazing bounty!! Good job! I love the white eggplant. I grew a light purple and white striped variety...and of course lost the tag...so I have no idea what type it is. I've looked online a bit...but can't decide as it is long and not round, etc. The problem is I don't know when to harvest them! The dried tomatoes look amazing...what do you do with those?

And you are right...my chickens and my garden bring me immense happiness...something so simple and basic...yet so gratifying. I love it!

Kelly said...

Michell- I use the sundried tomatoes in many things....pasta (when not using a red sauce), chicken roulades, dip, etc...

From one of my eggplant posts- "To test for the ripeness of an eggplant, gently press the skin with the pad of your thumb. If it springs back, the eggplant is ripe, while if an indentation remains, it is not", of course I didn't use this test, just guessed. Next time I will pay better attention to this little detail!